Magick; July 2014

(Psst... a logo prototype!
Not quite finished yet,
but this is a good start,
don't you think?)

I have to be honest here. Whenever I set a schedule for myself, relating mostly to personal goals in creative matters, it's like an alarm goes off in my mind to prevent any magical thinking from happening. I sort of regress and lose speed on my projects, & end up no longer feeling that I am able to conquer my own mind. Whether this is a lack of focus or an instinctual reaction to a lack of self esteem about what I think I'm capable of; I've come up with a few ways to fight the wicked beast of procrastination!

Set up a creative space.
Luckily for me, I spend about 50/50 (okay, more like 90/10 considering I'm always spending time at boyfriend's... more on that later) outside of my house, away from my desk... which is obviously not very productive. My desk is actually an Ikea table, topped with sparkly candles, seashells, & further surrounded by a menagerie of chaos... and cats. While I certainly wouldn't call 'Fueled by Fantasy HQ' a mess, I do think it's an open, productive environment and a personally inspiring one none the less. I wish I had more space for storage & supplies, but sometimes you have to work with what you have! You should take the time to figure out whatever works best for your optimal creative aptitude and take advantage of even the tiniest corner to unleash some portals to your inner demons. Don't use this space for much else, so when you settle in (pro tip: turn off wi-fi if you can!) you'll actually focus on your drawing, writing, painting, etc. & not just Google cats and look up your faux symptoms on WebMD for the entire hour you've set aside to get work done.

Spend time alone, relaxing.
I am always teased that I don't necessarily like to do things outside of my home alone. I once squawked at the thought of doing a hike by myself. Squawked. Like a bird. I generally like to venture out with a friend, to at least to have someone to talk to & help get through boring tasks, together! I'm also guilty of, on the off chance I do shop out by myself, having my phone in my hand & chatting with a friend for the entirety of my solo trip. While certainly this is a great way to stay connected, it's not necessary. It could really be an hour or two spent preparing in my head for game time, thinking about a funny pun to use later in a post or even something stupid you could do with Iggy Azalea lyrics. It's not helping anyone at all when I don't give any time strictly for thinking, reading, writing, or drinking wine in the bathtub. Most of the planning for my creative output happens in the bathroom, with Twilight Zone fan fiction and candlelight. (Ohhh, so romantic!)

Set time aside for learning new concepts/techniques.
This is a big problem for me. For example, considering I haven't been formally trained in graphic design, I have to think outside of the box & learn as I go when I am working on something. I don't tend to want to rely on using creative commons materials, considering that I like to create things from scratch. For me, some days when I open up Photoshop or Illustrator, it's more about playing with a new tool or some feature I haven't used yet. I'm also still not entirely keen on CS6! But with enough time playing, I think anyone can learn a new skill easily on their own. Finding guidance through forums & especially free tutorials available on YouTube, it has become easier & easier to learn anything... with enough time & patience!

Set realistic goals.
Sure, it'd be optimal if I had the time & the ideas for 3+ blog posts a week, enough content for a podcast every single Tuesday, the time for proper make up application and confidence to create a YouTube channel, & had the ability to still have time to eat, sleep, & continue my job search... oh AND maybe see another human being during daylight hours. It can be hard, but don't overcomplicate things for yourself. Start slowly; add on more over time. Don't think you're going to be an overnight success... & always have fun with whatever it is you do creatively. I definitely can attest that it's much easier to be working at full speed when you remove the stress of wanting to have thousands of readers/fans or generate side income, it's more important to just enjoy the time you spend creating meaningful content.


This may have been more for me than for you, but isn't that really what personal blogging is all about? I do however hope this puts something helpful in perspective for any one who reads through!


Xoxo.

0 comments: